The River Thames is 346 km long, that is, the second longest river in the United Kingdom after the river Severn and the first ever built underwater tunnel in 1843 by Engineer Marc Brunel. Earlier, it was known as Tamesis meaning the ‘dark water’ and also as ‘River Isis’ in Oxford.
If you are planning a trip to London, then surely who will not miss the River Thames, and from here you will get a lot of information about the things that you can experience on the River Thames.
Top 10 that you can do on the River Thames
- Ride on a cruise: Take a ride on a cruise and explore and refresh yourself by the iconic view of London.And interestingly, all JamesBond movie sequels had a shooting on the Thames.
- Water sports activities: Indulge in different and amazing water sports activities.You can see attractive views of London in just minutes by the fastest speedboat ride.
- Richmond: A section of southwest London, take a boat ride on the Thames to see the beautiful picturesque view of Richmond along the Thames.
- Cable car ride: Take a cable car ride and experience the great sights of London. The car travels at 90m high between Greenwich Peninsula and the Royal Docks. Get a bird-eye-view of the Thames.
- Live below the Deck: To experience the most exciting life ever is to stay below the deck of the ship and feel like a real sailor. This provides you many opportunities to learn multimedia lessons and much more.
- Waterloo Bridge: Catch the sunset from the Waterloo Bridge, though you can see the sunset from many different places over the Thames but the most beautiful view is from this place.
- Dining Experience: Let’s eat on a boat and enjoy a different dining experience. There are many restaurants along the Thames that provide you a perfect view with the delicious food.
- Enjoy Fishing: Enjoy the fishing from different locations along the river Thames. You all should experience this activity as it demands a lot of patience. Many places offer this at free of cost, but still you need a rod license.
9. Mud larking: Discover something new that takes you back to the history of the Thames. Anyone can do it, but for the beginners, the best place to start with is the beach below the Globe Theatre. It’s a difficult activity, but you will definitely enjoy it by finding some monkey skulls, roman coins etc.
10. Memorable moments: During the festival, you will be able to see the art of the south Korean IK-Joong Kang’s ‘Floating Dreams’, made up of hundreds of beautiful Korean drawings to remember the memories when the country divided.
Besides all these things, the way time is to go in the month of September. Every year the month of September is full of Thames festival, at this time enjoy the party for one month, with other festivals of arts, community based events, environmental based activities, foreshore archaeology, river races, regattas.
Escape from your busy schedule and discover London from the River Thames, experience the best views of the River Thames from the riding boats to open upper decks, café bars, dinning differently and much more that you will never forget ever in your life.